Saturday, April 08, 2006

Bear Peak

125 minutes
easy to moderate pace (mostly moderate up, easy down)
solo - 2:20pm - sunny turned to cloudy - warm turned slightly chilly - from the Bear Canyon TH, up Bear Canyon Trail, Bear Peak West Ridge Trail, to the top of Bear Peak, retraced the same route back to the TH, then on down to the house - felt great going up - had a couple of nice moments on top (great views of the snow-capped Continental Divide, Longs Peak, Indian Peaks, Eldora Ski Area) - but early in the descent I starting feeling bonked - it was mostly gravity that got me home - I didn't eat enough earlier in the day, plus I did a few hours of yard work in the morning - I was damn tired on the way down that mountain - drank a Coke within two minutes of getting home, and guacamole a few minutes later (that was a magical combination; instantly felt human again) - then an epsom salt soak, dinner, and Haagen Dazs - all back to normal again - I will sleep well tonight, for sure - first bagging of "the bear" this year.